Thursday, August 13, 2009

Let's disco, y'all!

Some of the top pop/rock songs of the disco years…

1976
‘Play that Funky Music’ by Wild Cherry. What word did people use to describe something funky, before 'funky'? I'd put it in the same category as 'boogie'.


‘Tonight’s the Night’ by Rod Stewart. Rod Stewart’s music was never really my thing. Obviously, I was in the minority.


'50 Ways to Leave Your Lover’ by Paul Simon. Two of my cousins and I actually made up a dance to this song. Yeah, I know, sad, sad, sad.

1977
‘Dancing Queen’ by Abba. Abba’s a group that, at the time, I thought ‘ehh’, but now I totally dig their stuff. If they'd only agree to tour one more time...


‘You Light Up My Life’ by Debby Boone. Even I was too cool for this song, but I can still sing every word...not that anyone's ever asked...


‘Sir Duke’ by Stevie Wonder. I defy you to not start bobbing your head after hearing the first few notes of this song!


1978
‘Last Dance’ by Donna Summer. No doubt she was the queen of disco. Should I confess how many times I 'discoed' in my room...by myself...to her songs? Probably not.


‘Stayin’ Alive’ by the Bee Gees. If Donna was the queen, these guys were totally the kings.


‘Shadow Dancing’ by Andy Gibb. Lesser brother to the Bee Gees, but he was the one in ‘Tiger Beat’ every month.



1979
‘Y.M.C.A.’ by the Village People. If you can believe it, this was the first ‘big boy’ album my grandparents bought me. I don't think they quite got it... ; )

‘My Sharona’ by The Knack. One of those songs that after you heard it on the radio you couldn’t get it out of your head the rest of the day. Not a good thing...


'Le Freak' by Chic. Ahhh, freak out!

No comments:

Post a Comment